RE: License plate cover

From: Jim (mdewjunkie1@home.com)
Date: Sat Feb 24 2001 - 20:00:55 EST

They are illegal in Rhode Island but I haven't been bothered. As long as
you don't look like a rice boy or there to dark they tend not to bother
anyone. I have the light smoke ones.
Oh yah the covers that claim to absorb or fool a radar gun don't work. (for
anyone thinking about it :-)) Was watching a show on tlc and they were
showing products that claim to do that and things people do. Every thing
that was done had no affect the gun still nailed them all.
I think the main reason for them is cops can't see your plate. And if your
saying yah but what about the clear well they get crappy looking and they
also get water build up on them so you still can't see.

Check your local laws on the legality of the covers. I know in California
it is illegal to have any cover on your plate. Clear or not. I am not sure
of the real reason but it may be because there was (is) a product on the
market that would absorb any radar waves emitted from a radar gun. Since
the plate is the most reflective item on the car I'm sure the police don't
like that idea.