RE: 4.7 to 3.7 = more problems

From: Alex Tell (alex_tell@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Feb 26 2001 - 21:46:49 EST

Hi all.
This is my first post to the list although I have been a member of the news
group for about five months. I am writing in response to the LA series vs.
4.7 debate. It seems that a lot of 4.7 owners are concerned about the
engines running hot resulting in warped heads. It is my understanding that
Chrysler specifically designed this engine to reach operating temp. quicker.
  That is one of the reasons that they used aluminum for the heads. The
location of the water jackets in both the block and the heads were also
chosen to decrease warm-up time. This has the advantage of reducing
emissions and increasing fuel economy. As a current owner of a 92 5.2 I see
this as a vast improvement. I commute only 10 miles to work and I live in
an area that has a cold winter climate. My truck does not reach operating
temp. until I am almost at work. This is not only uncomfortable but it
results in a two to three mpg. decrease from summer to winter. It also
causes increased engine wear. The truck uses a quart of oil every 3000
miles in the winter and none in the summer. Taking this into account I
would not buy a new Dakota with anything but the new generation engine.
Alex Tell
Tahoe City CA