What Controls Idle Quality?

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Wed Feb 28 2001 - 09:15:33 EST

What controls idle quality? Since my truck has been stalling for the past
month, my truck has been idling up at the 900+ rpm marker, and sometimes
idle is erratic. My truck hasnt stalled in about 10 days, and yesterday it
died on me twice and once today. I know before to solve erratic ilde I
either replaced the AIS or just cleaned it. Well I cleaned it tonight and it
is still idling high.

I know the AIS Sensor(backside of the TB) is the major one, but what else.
Does the TPS play a role in idle? How about a vacuum leak, would/could this
cause high idle? The MAP Sensor is brand new, and was showing great specs
when I last scanned the computer. Then again, all the sensors are showing up
fine when I had it scanned and there are no fault codes stored. Really the
ONLY sensor I havent replaced is the stock 137,000 mile old crankshaft
position sensor. What or how would the CPS play a role in idle quality?A new
TPS runs $28.99 from Autozone, CPS is like $40 from Autozone as well.

I just put a new PCV Valve($2), as cheap insurance that the old one was
plugged up. Any and all thoughts are welcome. THANKS!
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6