R&D Performance Throttle Bodies

From: RDPerform@aol.com
Date: Wed Feb 28 2001 - 12:58:50 EST

Hello,

Was just poking through the archives and noticed that my previous
"competition" had alot of bad mouthing as to the quality of my ported
throttle bodies. What I'm asking you folks is, how is your TB holding up?

One person mentioned that the TBs butterflies were loose - this was only on
the first run of TBs as they were only welded on the one side which allowed
the blades to wiggle very slightly. A small tack weld on the front of the
blade fixed this. (Note: This cannot be done on a TB with brass blades -
period. No matter how good the welder is) Our TB is the only one with the
flathead screws sunk into the bores to my knowledge. This may have changed.
Another thing no one seems to mention is how our blades are angle cut to
match the bore .... just another small step we take to insure the precision
assembly of these units. Nothing is just stamped out.

Another thing mentioned by our "competition" is that our precision stainless
shafts were warped from the heat of the welding. Well - upon disassembly of
our TB we tested the welds on (had about 3 or 4 different welding points as
opposed to 2) we spun the shaft on a dial indicator ....... nothing was out
of tolerance one bit.

I'm also curious as to how well these "fixed" throttle bodies performed with
the larger bore. When we tested the 52mm bore over the 50mm, performance was
ultimately lost even though the off-idle gains made it feel like the truck
was actually faster. We did this on my Supercharged truck, stock trucks,
warmed up NA trucks (cams, etc), all with the same results.

I still to this day (especially after selling all my surplus parts off cheap)
get requests to start making the TBs again, as people are very satisfied with
them. I plan on doing so (plus a 4.7L TB that'll be an absolute jewel) with
all options available, just curious as to what you guys though worked, as,
it's no big deal to do any extra machining once the TB is in the mill.

FWIW - New price will probably be around $250 - no core. How's that sound?

Speak up :)

ttyl
Patrick