Re: Air-Fuel Ratio Monitors ATTN: Kyle

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Fri Mar 02 2001 - 07:30:47 EST

Hi, Kyle

At 06:02 PM 2/28/01 -0600, you wrote:
>I would appreciate any and all info you could send my way concerning how he
>hooked it up. It is good to know that the wire installation/hookup wires and
>instructions came with the monitor(with your son's atleast). I have gathered
>a list of like 15 different gauges/motitors. I assume all do basically the
>same things, it will just come down to how much I want to spend and how
>fancy/plain I want the monitor to look. I think I still end up going one
>made from a better known company, like Auto Meter. I figured the
>installation of one of these couldnt be that hard, but I will take whatever
>info you can send my way so I dont screw things up. Thanks again Bob,
>Kyle 93 Dakota 4x4 V6

The gauge that I have is a 2 1/16" Intellitronix, needle type display.
At the time, a fuel pressure gauge was put installed into the 2-pod, A-arm
holder as well. This was an Auto Meter.

There are four wires. Two of them (the black and white ones) are for the back
light. The other two are for the gauge itself.

1) In the '97s, there is no wire, inside the passenger compartment,
that carries the oxygen sensor voltage signal. This may be different in
pre-97s. Thus, a wire was run thru the firewall and followed the wiring
harness that runs down the top of the transmission from the back of the
engine. The wire was tapped into the connector for the oxygen sensor.
You'll have to look up in a manual which of the four wires it is (maybe gray?.
It is possible to tap into the oxygen sensor signal at the connector.

2) The black, white and green wires were tapped into a junction connector,
under the dash, driver's side kick panel (near the emergency brake release).
I believe it is junction #6 (you'll need to look it up in the wiring
diagrams). This connector was chosen because it is fairly easy to reach and
it contains wires for the circuits required. The black is chassis ground.
The white taps into the orange/white wire. I cannot remember whether the
green wire taps into ground or 12V (red wire). I believe it is 12V ( you'll
need to check this against the installation instructions for the air/fuel
gauge). It does not matter whether you get the green and blue wires mixed
up (i.e. it won't blow up the gauge), if the gauge does not read properly,
reverse the green and blue wire feeds and it should work.

Sorry for some of the memory lapse ... it was put in last year.

For a more versatile hookup, I created a wiring harness containing the four
wires
running to the gauge. I hooked the wiring harness to appropriate splice points
(see point #2 above) and put connectors on the wires from the back of the
gauge.
This way, I can remove the gauge without cutting wires and the truck will
function safely without the gauge being connected.

BTW, the back light is more of a fuzzy glow at night so it's a bit difficult
to see the needle bouncing back and forth at night. I think the kit comes
with various colour bulbs (red, green). I used what I thought was the
brightest (red). Since I don't drive or race at night too often, it's not a
problem with me. As a matter of fact, I cannot remember even looking at
the gauge at the track!!! If you drive a lot at night, maybe you might want
to consider their LED type of gauge and have a light show.

Hope this helps.

Bob Tom Burlington, Ont., Canada
'97 Dakota Sport, 4x2, CC, Flame red, 5.2L, auto., 3.92SG