Volant intake for 4.7

From: Al & Jeanna Figols (ALJF@mhonline.net)
Date: Sat Mar 03 2001 - 09:00:28 EST

 I checked it out and I don't believe it comes with the engine
separator(like the K&N units have) to isolate the air filter fromt he
engine heat. Also, they don't call it a "cold air" intake like Volant
does for some other vehicles , but rather a "high flow" intake. For
$175.00, I don't think you're getting anymore than a K&N type cone
filter and a piece of smooth pipe.
 As for the plastic, I wouldn't worry about melting (as mentioned by
someone else). Remember, the stock intake manifold is plastic and the
stock intake baffle is made of plastic and they hold up well in the
heat.
 I've noticed a few "cold air" intakes popping up on ebay lately. For
those of you looking into them, keep in mind that unless the airfilter
is isolated from engine heat, it is not a cold air system. You will
increase airflow, which means more HP, but at the same time you'll be
sucking in very hot (especially in summer!) engine air which robs HP. I
don't know if the overall HP improvement out weighs what is lost with
the hot air on a Dakota, but I do know from my experience with another
car that I had with the unisolated cone filter and smooth intake pipe on
that in the cool season it did run stronger, but I did notice in the
warmer months that the stock airbox was better. Remember, intake noise
DOESN'T equal HP.
 Just my 2 cents.
Al