Good O2 Sensor Installation/Info Link

From: Shane Moseley (smoseley@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sun Mar 04 2001 - 13:40:24 EST

Hey guys - I found this good info site that should help those contemplating this
install. This particular site is from AutoMeter and they even have an animated
pic of my exact gauge showing it during normal operation (oscillating around
Stoich)... The reason I initially choose this one is because of the number of
LEDs (and having never been disappointed by AutoMeter). I was thinking that the
extra LED's arranged in a 270 degree sweep would provide more resolution - and
it does. But, later I found out that regular O2 sensors (like ours) can only
accurately measure 14.7 to 1 (Stoich) A/F ratios. They are used by the PCM only
to determine if less than or greater than that "magic" value. Any attempts to
use them to determine ACTUAL A/F ratio at any given instant are futile as they
just don't work that way (even though AutoMeter instructions lead you to believe
otherwise!). ONLY a wideband O2 sensor (very, very expensive) can give you
ACTUAL values at any given instant. I want one of those 8). This is why the
guys in the know always say to tune your vehicle while on the dyno 'cause they
will have the wide-band type. EGT's are just as good (better?) and are less
expensive...

Uh-oh....looks like a Chap1 in the making.....better just give up the link and
stop....

http://www.autometer.com/hp/techtips/air_fuel_hookup/air_fuel_hookup.html

Latr,

Shane

--
'96 IndyRam-HisIndy-MPI/TB/Pulleys/AccelCoil/MPComp/HookerSuperComps/CompTAs
'96 IndyRam-HerIndy-numbered(#142)"Track Truck"