RE: Gas mileage and gear ratio

From: Sevrence, Sean (S.J.) (ssevrenc@visteon.com)
Date: Fri Mar 09 2001 - 11:04:17 EST

Hey Alex!

That's an interesting question! One that I can not answer with numbers, but
want to attempt the theory side for a minute. I had an '86 Isuzu Impulse
(used) that had an onboard computer which showed a correlation between the
vacuum of the engine and the gas mileage. I experimented with different
acceleration habits to obtain the best city mileage I could. I found out
that if I accel'ed as fast as possible without introducing the turbo I got
the best results. It's weird. I thought if I babied it up to speed I would
get better mileage. But the way it worked out was the longer you accelerate,
the more gas it uses versus getting up to speed a bit faster and maintaining
your speed. Make sense?

With the gearing, I agree the engine should have an easier time getting up
to speed. That is the gearing I use and have no problems with gas
consumption in the city or highway. It seems to be a good combination with
the ability to pull a trailer also.

I think it is going to come down to the driving habits more than anything.
My 3.9L gives 21.5mpg (80% hwy), 17.5 (80% cty) and my 4.7L gives 19.5mpg
(80%hwy), 16.5mpg (80% cty).

Sorry I couldn't give you a direct answer, but hopefully this will help!

Sean
'92 RC Sport 3.9L 5spd - 250,000mi!
'01 CC SLT+ 4.7L 5spd 3.92 LSD Mobil-1!