RE: Dropping a 4x4 dakota?

From: David Carmany (gt6416b@prism.gatech.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 12 2001 - 21:53:22 EST

     As far as lowering a 4x4 it will be quite extensive. more than
likely you will have to get things shorten like your driveshaft, replace
gearing (if you had 31's), bump stops, redo breaklines, new springs, new
shocks, etc.. You can do it but expect to pay some major bucks. I would
say you would be lucky to get out with 2 grand of work...
    Better judgement is the key to doing well in mud rain, etc but a
light foot wont get it done most of the time. I have done mudding,
offroad, deep snow, ice, etc and once the best track has been taken a
4x4 will run circle around any 2 wheel drive. With a 4x4 if you start to
go in a direction that is dangerous or undesirable (if you are familair
on the behavior of the truck in such situations) it is better to power
your way out of it (your truck will find traction in the direction you
want unless it is shear ice or you do something foolish and yank the
wheel from lock to lock.) because with a light foot (especially with a
posi or locker) one wheel will catch for a sec and shot you around if
you have a 2 wheel drive....