RE: Still Stalling!

From: Ronald Wong (ron-wong@home.com)
Date: Tue Mar 13 2001 - 00:40:43 EST

Excellent suggestions, Bob!

Ron
00 PB SLT QC 4X2 5.9 46RE 3.92 LSD

From: owner-dakota-truck@buffnet.net
[mailto:owner-dakota-truck@buffnet.net]On Behalf Of Bob Tom
Sent: Monday, March 12, 2001 5:57 PM
To: dakota-truck@buffnet.net
Subject: Re: DML: Still Stalling!

At 05:49 PM 3/12/01 -0600, you wrote:
>Automatic tranny, A500 with OD I believe. I actually just had on the stock
>headlights when this happened yesterday. I even turned everything off when
>trying to restart it, except for the hazards of course. Today going to work
>was great, it ran awesome. Just got in from my 35 minute drive home and it
>stalled out 3 times! I am leaning right now towards the crankshaft position
>sensor. They run $55 from the dealer and $40 from Autozone. The weather was
>dry and about 40 degrees. Today it is raining and about 45-50degrees. Any
>thoughts? Should I dish out $40 for a new CPS and hope it fixes things?
>Kyle 93 Dakota 4x4 V6

I could be wrong but, from all your descriptions, it just doesn't sound like
a CPS problem to me. It may be but more likely in the wiring at the CPS.
I know you've replaced probably every possible sensor that could be
rough/surging
idle and hard to start related. I'd hate to see you use more money
on a hope.

I remember you writing that the mech., that did a pretty thorough check
on your truck, mentioned the tranny shifting at such a low speed. A faulty
TCC solenoid can cause stalling because the torque converter can lockup
at a lower speed than it should. One way to check is to disconnect the
wiring connector at the TCC solenoid (see your FSM for location) so that
the converter cannot lockup and drive it around for a day or so. The worst
that will happen is that you use a little more gas than usual. If you do
not stall during this time, then you know that the TCC solenoid is at fault.

If it still stalls, hook up the wiring to the TCC solenoid again.

The other thing that I recall is that you put in FSM 19# injectors.
I would do a check separate from the one above and see if
the connector that provides power to the fuel injectors are snapped in
with the tabs locked. I start with the wiring to each injector and check
them, then trace the harness backward.

If you decide to do these two checks and stalling still occurs, let me
know and I'll see if I can turn up something else.

Bob