RE: Changing a camshaft

From: Wisotzkey, Rich (Rich.Wisotzkey@gd-wts.com)
Date: Tue Mar 13 2001 - 10:42:25 EST

Austin,
I don't have time to get into a disertation on changing a cam. I don't
think anyone on the list wants to do this either. There are to many steps
involved. You need to get a good book detailing ALL the steps. Best thing
here would be to go buy yourself a factory service manual.

Basically to answer your questions, it isn't hard, but it is an involved
proceedure. The lifters will not come out through the head, but you don't
have to remove the heads to change the cam. You will need to remove the
intake, altenator, A/C, timing cover, timing set, rockers and pushrods.
You'll also need to remove the radiator, grill, and bumper. Provided you
have the proper mechanics tools, you'll also need a degree wheel and dial
indicator to properly align (degree) the cam.

This is only a nutshell view of what you need to do. There are many more
steps required in changing your cam. Get the FSM, or borrow one and see
what you are getting involved in. Like I said earlier, it isn't hard, but
it is involved and you don't want to make any mistakes.
Rich - Ashburn, VA