Re: Air-Fuel Ratio Monitors

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Mon Mar 19 2001 - 09:01:27 EST

> First off let me say that I too have been watching your posts re: truck
stalling

> and am glad that you have the shop chasing after the same thing (stalling)
that
> you knew about long ago. Re: A/F gauges - its too bad that you didn't
have one
> before because I think it would have helped you reach (long ago) the same
spot
> the shop is at now. You did mention one time that you had hooked your
truck up
> to a scan tool and the O2 sensor output was constant. I mentioned that
this was

> a problem (or the scan tool was wrong). Considering that only a bad O2
sensor
> or a PCM that for some reason was not doing its job of controlling A/F by
> oscillating around stoich could cause such a condition - you can quickly
see how

> just one new O2 sensor could have had you looking at the PCM sooner.
Maybe a
> quick swap w/a friends PCM would even tell you more.

Shane,
Thanks alot for this info, but I doubt having an A/F Ration Monitor would
have solved my problem earlier. I did replace the 02 Sensor with a new one
about a week ago. Truck was still acting up after that. I took it into the
shop where they also replaced the 02 sensor, because the truck wont go into
closed loop mode, and basically stays in open loop all the time. I guess
this might explain for the rich condition I was seeing on my spark plugs?
Anyways, the mechanics are still working on it this week trying to determine
the open loop problem/stall problem. They are just leaning towards a bad
PCM. How would having an A/F ratio monitor tell me if my PCM is bad? Thanks
alot for the info Shane(and Bob!), you have helped out alot. Hopefully they
will be able to fix my truck and as soon as I get it back I will order a A/F
Ratio Guage and bug ya even more on the install of it :) hehe. Thanks again!
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6