Re: Homade grill insert question

From: RobertD. Smith (rsmith13@nycap.rr.com)
Date: Mon Mar 19 2001 - 19:57:03 EST

> <<You got me thinking of what it would take to make a grill with small
ram
> heads.>>

I believe if you can locate a machine shop with a water-jet cutting
system, they could spit the Ram's head inserts out by the hundreds. The
cutting speed would probably be in the neighborhood of 20 - 30
inches-per-minute (IPM) while holding tolerances of +/- .005". The
speeds would not vary that much with the thicknesses of metal we are
talking about. Watervliet Arsenal (cannon factory) routinely used
water-jets to cut components out of 2.5 inch thick aircraft quality
alloy steel plates, holding +/- .015" as a replacement for castings &
forgings when small quantities were required (generally prototypes) &
the casting/forging costs were prohibitive. The NC programming
would be the major expense, time-wise, but once the program was proved
out, any size Ram's head could be machined by just using numerical
modifiers to increase or decrease finish size dimensions.

just my machinist/NC programmer $.02.

Bob Smith
(at the gf's house where my sig block isn't)