Re: Exhaust backpressure (TECH!)

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Tue Mar 20 2001 - 23:31:40 EST

I would be interested in understanding if/how exhaust length affects
backpressure and overall power(like horsepower,torque, etc). Like it is best
to have no exhaust pipe after on the muffler on our trucks, or is it better
to have 10"/20"/30" worth of pipe after the muffler? I already know that it
is extremely bad to spend $40 on an stainless steel exhaust tip and mash it
in half 4wheelin!! I have something functional now, after I had an exhaust
tip coming out under the rear bumper and I mangled the tip/pipe pretty bad.
Now I just have the typical stock bend over the axle and when it comes back
down I have it cut off there, this way it is one less thing to worry about
4wheelin. Was just curious if this hurts performance at all?
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6