Re: IAT box & dyno results

From: Alex Harris (jetcity@swbell.net)
Date: Thu Mar 22 2001 - 17:24:29 EST

I have another question about this...

OK, our performance suffers when the intake air gets too warm (which is why
we put our intakes up by the grille). As I understand it, the warmer the
intake air temperature, the less oxygen actually gets into our engines
(because air expands as it gets warmer).

Evidently, now we can compensate somewhat with the IAT adjuster, setting the
PCM input so it thinks it cooler than it really is. But if the problem is
that we're not getting enough air, how does increasing the fuel rate help?
Does this mean that our computer isn't doing a good job setting the A/F
ratio for maximum efficiency, or is it a question of optimum efficiency vs.
maximum power? If it's the latter, wouldn't an aftermarket computer like the
Mopar PCM or Jet chip address this?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, I'm just trying to get a handle on the
principles behind this! :-)

Thanks,

- Alex