4.7 ping??

From: Jeff Durling (jdurling@mindspring.com)
Date: Thu Mar 22 2001 - 22:01:37 EST

My truck has started to sound like it is pinging. This started right
after I turned 5k on the odo. It might not be a pinging sound since if
you push farther through the pedal it disappears. It also will not make
any sound if you drive it normal it only does it when you get into it a
little. The sound seems like it is coming from right in front or below
the front of the console that sits under the dash. I kinda sounds like
marbles gurgling around but not sure. I have heard pinging before but
not quite like this and not quite as loud. I'm not saying it's bad but
you do notice it if you have the radio off. I have not tried different
plugs or anything else yet but thought I would ask for some opinions.
Any help would be great. I haven't heard anything before about the 4.7's
having a pinging problem so not sure. I have thought about trying out
the +4's from bosch since they seem to work really well on the 4.7. I am
also going to experiment with gas but will be really pissed if I have to
move up in octane to solve the problem. The literature states that it
should run on a certain octane and that you should maintain that octane.
I do run a higher octane through it every 4th tank.

Jeff Durling
01 4x2 QC SLT+