Re: IAT box & dyno results -- tech discussion

From: Shane Moseley (smoseley@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sat Mar 24 2001 - 01:18:56 EST

"Bernd D. Ratsch" wrote:

> You're still alive Shane!
>
> Hehehehe...one more Dyno test tomorrow to see how the IAT works on another
> truck. I'll let ya know how the "theory" work then. ;)

Yep - still alive - just kinda depressed lately as my engine is sitting out in
the driveway w/the pistons fully exposed 8(. I was expecting to find a blown
head gasket - but see no evidence of it. I know that doesn't mean it wasn't
blown but for some reason I can't put it back together yet - not enough of the
right parts I guess 8).

I was pretty impressed w/the cylinder condition tho - 113k miles and the holes
still have the original crosshatch hone pattern on them! Got some slight
scuffing in the lower parts of the cylinders - very typical of just about every
small block mopar I've seen. I was actually expecting more as I've been very
hard on her.

The combustion chambers looked kinda sick tho. Obvious signs of the pinging
(burning oil vapors) and poor flame travel. White calcium/sulphur deposits on
the valves and even some unburnt fuel deposits - piss poor shape basically. Not
sure what I'm gonna do about that. I want the new R/T heads w/the 3/8 valve
stem size and all the goodies to go along w/them. Can't afford them fully
loaded tho. Pistons look to be cast with a slight dish - unlike what I have
been told (hypereutectic).

Coolant was broke down in a bad way - worse than I've ever seen. Not acidic
enough to start eating parts tho thank goodness. Water pump looks brand new
(??). Still have the timing cover and oil pan to go before I can even think
about putting it back together.

Water pump gasket was $1.19, head gaskets (felpro permatorque blue) were
$14.99ea, 1 piece rubber oil pan gasket was $33.95, intake gasket/bolt kit (I
want studs badly but can't find them??) was $28 from my buddy whos a Chrysler
parts mgr and $51 from the local dealership (those must have gone up lately
cause I used to get them for $16 ??). Still debating on which timing chain to
use (Dynagear/Cloyes/Edelbrock/HughesBillet) and waiting for my louvered windage
tray from Milodon (got the stud/mount kit already).

Ideas/Thoughts/Theories? Thanks!

Latr,

Shane

--
'96 IndyRam-HisIndy-MPI/TB/Pulleys/AccelCoil/MPComp/HookerSuperComps/CompTAs
'96 IndyRam-HerIndy-numbered(#142)"Track Truck"