RE: Black Magic fan in 97+ Dak

From: Ronald Wong (ron-wong@home.com)
Date: Sat Mar 24 2001 - 12:00:20 EST

The clutch fan operates based on a thermostatic bimetallic spring coil
that's located on the front face of the fan drive. If the radiator
discharge air temperature rises above a certain point the fan will engage.
This will continue until that coil senses that the temperature has dropped
below that point. What happens to you in the mornings is due to your engine
being at operating temperatures the night before when you shut it off.
There was no more cooling so the air temperatures went up under the hood.
That set the switch to engage the fan. When you start your truck in the
morning and that spring coil has had enough time to react to the air
temperature around it the fan should disengage. It shouldn't take but a
couple seconds.

Ron
00 PB SLT QC 4X2 5.9 46RE 3.92 LSD