RE: IAT box & dyno results -- tech discussion

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Sat Mar 24 2001 - 23:10:53 EST

Uhhhh....isn't it past your bedtime? ;)

- Bernd

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dakota-truck@buffnet.net
[mailto:owner-dakota-truck@buffnet.net]On Behalf Of Shane Moseley
Sent: Saturday, March 24, 2001 9:41 PM
To: dakota-truck@buffnet.net
Subject: Re: DML: IAT box & dyno results -- tech discussion

TJ Goettner wrote:

> where exactly on that site?

Sorry - I can't point to an exact location. I seem to go off on tangents
every
time I visit that one. In general tho - one might think that a direct
measurement of actual air flow in real time would always be better than
calculating it. I wondered myself for a long time. Even wanted a MAF-based
EFI
setup myself because I see how easy the mustank boys have it w/mods. The
most
confusing part is that none of the aftermarket vendors even offer a
MAF-based
setup.

Then after doing lots of reading on the subject - I found that a MAF-based
setup
can have problems like air vortex missing the calibrated measuring position,
loosing calibration over time, getting the "hot-wire" contaminated, and lots
of
other reasons that result in a very inaccurate estimate of the actual air
flow.
The devils advocate in me said "But how does a MAP-based setup differ?
Surely
it has problems as well????"

So then I did alot of reading on MAP based systems (ok so I'm a little
obsessive
8). Turns out the MAP-based system do indeed have problems as well (like
when
the MAP sensor looses its ability to sense a wide range of vacuum) but they
are
apparently cheaper to build? huh? That didn't make sense? More
reading....

Bernd is right that some of the best avail factory EFI setups use BOTH MAP
and
MAF - I'm guessing that they correlate the info in an attempt to get a more
accurate estimation of the intake air and thus fuel requirements at that
point
in time. Guess we could study Formula One as those guys don't play! I have
talked to the McClaren team (at CA-World - they run Unicenter TNG on the
car!)
and just to give you an idea...they said that some teams will be bringing
their
own dynos over here (North America) because there are no dynos known to
exist in
the states that will work with the power range of the Formula 1 engines
(12-18,000rpms).

Better stop - I'm rambling again...

Latr,

Shane

--
'96 IndyRam-HisIndy-MPI/TB/Pulleys/AccelCoil/MPComp/HookerSuperComps/CompTAs
'96 IndyRam-HerIndy-numbered(#142)"Track Truck"