Re: popping/clunking noise

From: HOP (hopsdak@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Mar 27 2001 - 15:05:04 EST

Russ, If you can feel it in the steering wheel I would have them look at
the intermediate steering shaft. That needs to be replace on mine. I think
the part is around $200 and labor was another $60-80. If you can't feel it
in the wheel it is probably the ball joints...(But, that might be felt in
the steering wheel also) You can check the shaft your self yourself by
pooping the hood and looking on the driverside where the shaft comes out of
the fire wall. It is one square tub inside another w/ a flange joint at each
end.. try to move it side to side to se if you can replicate the noise...
I've placed the steering wheel in different positions w/ the tilt, and it
seems to go away for a couple of days... but, I can't tell if it's the shaft
or something in the wheel it's self....
Hth, Hop.