RE: Now Scrambler was 2000 R/T Gooseneck Towing...

From: Rodney Lewis (rlewis@nicorenergy.com)
Date: Wed Mar 28 2001 - 11:30:21 EST

Well, there's the source of your frustration: "good one in good shape,
cheap". That's pretty much a pipe dream, especially given their newfound
popularity. Since you plan to do a 5 year build-up/resto anyway, focus on
cheap and find one with a decent frame...make repairing or replacing the
body part of the build-up. You can pretty much build an entire Jeep from
nothing but your bare garage floor via mail order if you were so inclined. I
bought mine about a year and a half ago for $350. Buddy of mine bought it
for $600 off of some guy who had it sitting in his yard (took it as partial
payment for some remodeling work he had done) and stuck it in the
classifieds. He snagged the Dana 300 t-case, half cab & doors off of it,
then offered the remains (rusty tub, no front clip, bad engine missing
parts, bad tranny...a real basket case) to me. I argued with my wife and
bought it, then dismantled the custom CJ-7 I had been building and sold off
what I couldn't use from it on the Scrambler (frame & body tub basically)
and what I didn't need from the Scrambler (axles, wiring, dash...that stuff
alone paid for the Scrambler) and sat it in the garage for almost a year.
Check out http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1196188&a=8816994
It's mostly up to date and follows along from the time I unloaded off the
trailer to my progress up to about 2 weeks ago. Poke around the for sale
section at http://scrambler.cj-8.com and you'll probably find something to
work with.

-Rodney