Goodyear/Badyear? long

From: Kevin L. Miller (kmrcdd@swbell.net)
Date: Thu Mar 29 2001 - 00:17:47 EST

I know the majority of the list doesn't care much for DC's tire selection on
the Dakotas. I guess it just depends on who you talk to. I decided 3500
miles ago that I would rotate the spare tire into the mix since I've
committed to going with larger tires & lift . No need saving it. After
driving a block I noticed a bump,vibration, & noise from that tire. Drove it
little over 3 weeks & it got worse so I put the old one back on just to make
sure it was the new tire.....-was.....Called the local Goodyear dealer &
took it in Saturday for them to look at. They weren't very friendly, very
defensive, & kept talking about misalignment, out of balance, bad
shocks......we've all heard that stuff. They finally took a close look &
found the tire had a soft spot in the center of the tread about 6" diameter.
The only thing they would do was say they'd call Goodyear office Monday &
see what they say.
Monday they called & said a replacement was approved.
When I got there Monday there was a completely different crew working. I
talked to several people while I was there & it seemed like I was in a
different store. Everyone was very nice & pleasant. They mounted a new tire
& balanced it no problem. Offered to hang it back up in the carrier for me.
They checked all the other tires out & I still have well over half the tread
left on the originals. Odometer says 40,169 today. I have never had
goodyears that I can recall, but I'm happy with these . I ended up paying 50
cents for a state fee of some kind for the new tire. (cause the puter
wouldn't let'em delete it). That's it. I guess the moral of the story is
Dont go to the shop on Saturday - everyone is p.o.'d for having to work or
something. Or maybe someone was having a bad day & it rubbed off on all of
them.
Anyway, The good experience far outweighed the bad, I priced some 33's while
I was there & I'll probably go back when the time comes.

kmrcdd@swbell.net
Kevin
2000 4x4 QC 4.7L auto SLT+ 3.55 LSD Skids ,K&N, MAAP Nerfs, SS bedrails
Catch-alls, Deflectors, 180 TS, Bosch +4's Mobil-1,Silblades, Wheelskins,
QuickD Intake