RE: Subject: New Clutch user

From: Michael Nott (wnott@cfl.rr.com)
Date: Thu Mar 29 2001 - 19:04:33 EST

Might as well throw in my $0.02. Been driving a stick on the street for
almost 40 years (and in autocross for 10 of that).

1) Keep your foot off the clutch pedal unless you mean to use it (don't
ride the clutch).

2) Don't hold the truck on an incline with the clutch. That's what brakes
are for.

3) Downshifting is a disputable practice. Some say it wears the clutch,
some say it saves the brakes, some do it because they're frustrated racers
(my excuse).

4) Enjoy the added control you have over the throttle. A manual
transmission allows you to make partial throttle downshifts to accelerate
rather than having to mash the pedal to downshift a sludge-o-matic. You'll
appreciate that on slick surfaces. It also allows you to hold the engine
nearer to the RPM you want for the conditions and select another gear out of
sequence. Handy once in a while.

Best of luck with it. My wife and I both love to shift and won't drive
anything but a manual if at all possible.

Mike Nott
Orlando, FL
'01 Dak 4.7/5-speed (awaiting delivery)
'92 Honda Civic si 5-speed