Re: Re: Exhaust and tips

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Sat Mar 31 2001 - 11:12:16 EST

At 04:26 AM 3/31/01 -0800, you wrote:
>If I drop my 5.2 in neutral, then rev it high, when it comes back down to
>800rpm (idle) - deceleration - it makes a few loud pops.
>
>I have leach headers, 2.5 inch exhaust, and some other stuff, so its all
>nice and flowing, but I wasn't sure why that was, or if a 3 inch exhaust
>would help that at all.
>
>I am getting a 3 inch system, after the muff shop installed 2.5 by
>mistake... grrr. Thanks -geoff

Geoff

Take a close look at your whole exhaust system for any small leaks.
A small leak will cause exhaust pops when decelerating. If you've
had the system for awhile, look for telltale black marks (carbon dust)
especially where pieces fit together.

I started getting pops on deceleration and located a very small hole in
the weld just where the exhaust pipe welded to the muffler outlet pipe.
I got some quick drying muffler cement, cleaned up around the hole,
worked the cement into and around the hole, took it out on the
highway to heat up the exhaust a little, and no more popping.

HTH, Bob.