5.9L Magnum V8 Deck Height

From: Shane Moseley (smoseley@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sun Apr 01 2001 - 18:44:37 EDT

Henry LaViers wrote:

> Are you going to measure how far each of your pistons is in the hole before
> you bolt the engine back up ?
>
> The spec seems to be that each piston should be about 0.041 in the hole, which
> gives a pretty piss-poor quench clearance of = 0.093 inches.

Henry,

I was hoping to have this baby all spec'ed and bolted back together by now -
unfortunately I threw my back out (again) last weekend while moving the cylinder
heads around for disassembly and cleaning. I am just now getting back to the
point where I can mess with it again.

My initial measurements are coming in at around 0.045 to 0.050 down in the hole.
I've still got some cleaning to do but I don't expect the numbers to change much
from that - we'll see. About 6 of the cylinders were right at 0.048. Will keep
you posted as to the final numbers (on a cyl-by-cyl basis) when I'm satisfied
w/the cleaning (short block still in truck)

I've got another 360 block that has new pistons (KB-107) and has all machining
work already done (bore+030, hone, align hone, etc). The KB-107 pistons are
supposed to yield a zero deck height but my measurements come in at a final
0.010-0.012 in the hole. That block is a '76 LA motor that is/was going in my
Challenger. I'm considering using it instead of my original magnum V8 for the
reassembly.

I cc'd the DML on this post to try and get some opinions over there about a)
others experiences w/deck height measurements found in their Magnum V8s as well as
b) the challenges associated w/using an LA short block vs. the Magnum V8.

I understand that using the Magnum front timing cover (and all things in front of
it), the Magnum heads & intake, along w/lifters and pushrods that allow for oiling
the valvetrain thru the pushrods, and a "ground down" fuel pump eccentric (like a
thick washer) is all that is required. I have an old Mopar Muscle magazine that
details the swap where they used a 340 short block.

This would allow for much more cam choices as well as aftermarket pistons (cheaper
too!).

Ideas? Thoughts? Concerns?

Latr,

Shane

--
'96 IndyRam-HisIndy-MPI/TB/Pulleys/AccelCoil/MPComp/HookerSuperComps/CompTAs
'96 IndyRam-HerIndy-numbered(#142)"Track Truck"