Re: Re: Exhaust and tips

From: Jon Steiger (jon@dakota-truck.net)
Date: Mon Apr 02 2001 - 14:57:56 EDT

tigers@bserv.com (Bob Tom) wrote in
<5.0.2.1.0.20010331110009.009f5c80@bserv.com>:

>At 04:26 AM 3/31/01 -0800, you wrote:
>>If I drop my 5.2 in neutral, then rev it high, when it comes back down to
>>800rpm (idle) - deceleration - it makes a few loud pops.
>>
>>I have leach headers, 2.5 inch exhaust, and some other stuff, so its all
>>nice and flowing, but I wasn't sure why that was, or if a 3 inch exhaust
>>would help that at all.
>>
>>I am getting a 3 inch system, after the muff shop installed 2.5 by
>>mistake... grrr. Thanks -geoff
>
>Geoff
>
>Take a close look at your whole exhaust system for any small leaks.
>A small leak will cause exhaust pops when decelerating. If you've
>had the system for awhile, look for telltale black marks (carbon dust)
>especially where pieces fit together.
>
>I started getting pops on deceleration and located a very small hole in
>the weld just where the exhaust pipe welded to the muffler outlet pipe.
>I got some quick drying muffler cement, cleaned up around the hole,
>worked the cement into and around the hole, took it out on the
>highway to heat up the exhaust a little, and no more popping.

  Any theories as to why exhaust leaks would cause popping? Unburnt fuel
mixing with fresh outside oxygen perhaps?

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ----- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@twistedbits.net ------. | Affiliations: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA; Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | '92 Ram 150 4x4 V8, '96 Dakota V8, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly 447 | `------------------------------ http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ----'