IAT and the 4.7L

From: Aajaynefour@cs.com
Date: Wed Apr 04 2001 - 01:45:25 EDT

I believe this topic was discussed about a week ago, but the results seemed
inconclusive. The IAT, as I understand it, is a variable resistor that
responds to temperature changes in the intake air stream and sends a voltage
to the PCM that is used to select the "optimal" air fuel ratio. So far so
good. Bernd has developed a simple but effective way of sending a "false"
voltage to the PCM making it think that the air is cooler than it actually is
and thereby selecting a different (richer ? - more performance biased) fuel
curve. Still good. My questions are as follows: Does the IAT in the stock
location react to air temperature changes to maintain a stoichiometric air
fuel ratio? If so, then basically Bernds IAT adjuster causes the PCM to
deviate from stoichiometric in the direction of a richer mixture as the air
temperature and therefore density stays the same. Wouldn't it be better to
place the IAT in a location where it could respond to cooler and denser air
or is there "room" to richen the mixture even if the air is relatively warm
and not as dense as it could be.

I don't doubt the effectiveness of this device, I am only trying to achieve a
better understanding of how this hot rodders trick works. If I am mistaken
in my understanding please correct me. I want to learn.

Thanks
Andrew