Re: Auto or Manual, that is the question

From: Will Coughlin (willcoughlin@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Apr 05 2001 - 01:03:26 EDT

Mark, I would go with a manual myself, but that's besides the point. It
depends on what YOU want/prefer. The choices are this, a wide-ratio NV 3500
manual 5-speed, manufactured by NewVenture Gear for DC, or the 45RFE dual
second ratio, 4 speed automatic overdrive. If you would like to know the
gear ratios of each, let me know-I have them here, just not on the comp.
where I could copy and paste them right now. Either way you go, I would
recommend the 3.92 geared axles. The NV-3500 5 speed is a good transmission,
just not very heavy duty. The 45RFE is not very stout either, as far as
sheer strength to the design as far as I see. They have been using the
NV-3500 in the V-8 powered Dakotas for several years,the 3.9L V6 powered
Dakotas 2000+, and they have used it in half-ton Rams since the introduction
of the new body(1994+). The 45RFE is a recent design, having been introduced
in the Grand Cherokee(WJ) in 1999, with the 4.7L V8 engine. It was
introduced in to the Dakotas in 2000 with the 4.7L. The 45RFE will be used
behind the 3.7L V6, The 4.7L V8,and the 5.9L(360 magnum) V8 in the new rams
to be introduced for the 2002 model year.So, I guess either one is up to 1/2
ton service ratings, which are obviously more than a Dakota's. Anything else
you want to know? Please feel free to ask if you want to know anything else.
HTH,