Removing Catalytic Converter

From: Mark (mschmitty@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Apr 05 2001 - 11:10:56 EDT

I have a 95 Dakota 4x4 with the 5.2 - My converter is
rattling very bad and needs replacement. I talked to
several shops and they want anywhere from 275-425 to
change it depending if they need a universal or can
get a direct fit one installed. That is way too much
money for me! I know this is agaist the law, but I'm
thinking of just cutting it off. I've seen several
other autos & trucks without a convertor. How would
this effect the gas mileage and other emmisions
equipment? I only have 1 o2 sensor before the
convertor. In 96 they changed over to 2 o2 sensors.
Please advise - Thanks