Tranny, tranny on the wall ...

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Sun Apr 08 2001 - 22:32:23 EDT

TRANNY, TRANNY ON THE WALL,
WHY WON'T YOU SHIFT FOR ME AT ALL!

Well, I replaced the governor pressure sensor (this is the replacement
transducer which has been used in the '99 and up models) and the governor
pressure solenoid in hopes one or the other caused my WOT, manual
upshift above 5000 rpm problem.

I took her to the track today for a test and tune. The first run was
at 11 a.m. (72F and 69% humidity). 1-2 5500 rpm shift, lift, 2-3
5500 rpm shift, lift. Result was a 14.91 @ 93.12. Where did that
93.12 mph come from? ... best last year was a 92.08.

I did find a couple of positives from replacing the sensor and solenoid
though. First, I could get the 1-2 shift at 5000 rpm and the 2-3 shift
at 5300 rpm without lifting, which are higher than the 4800 and 5000
shifts from last year. Second, the shift at 5500 rpm occurred
immediately after the lift as opposed to last year when I had to wait
to see if shift would occur or not after lifting a little.

I have the Transgo kit in the 44RE. If anyone has had a similar type
of problem at the track and has been able to find a fix it, I'd appreciate
hearing what was done to solve it.

Now it's on with the 3000 stall converter and to see if I can reduce
my 60' times.

Bob Tom Burlington, Ont., Canada
'97 CC Dakota, 5.2L, 4x2, auto., 3.92SG, 4,265 lb (racing weight)
Dyno: 231.2 rwhp 340.0 lb-ft rwtorque
PB: 14.737 @ 91.75 9.364 @ 72.95