Re: RE: 180 t-stat mileage numbers

From: Andy Levy (andylevy@bigfoot.com)
Date: Mon Apr 09 2001 - 00:13:27 EDT

No, I dropped a few hundredths in calculated mileage with the 180 and
the mods. Not exactly a significant amount. Figure in the fact that my
odometer has read 4.3 percent LOW since 1/5/2001 and my actual gas
mileage probably went up.

The engine is actually designed to run optimally at 183 or so. The 195
is there to make the EPA happy (emissions). Your 318 isn't a "newer
engine" but the computer compensates quite well for the change in
temperature. When I bought my stat at Advance Auto Parts (or was it
Autozone?) the guy tried like mad to talk me out of it, told me all
kinds of things (cab heat won't work right in the winter, mileage will
suck, emissions will get me in trouble) and would only sell it to me
after I told him that it was for off-road use only (and he told me to
tell him that's what it was for). What a pain. I looked at it like
this - this one guy working at the store told me that what a dozen
people on the DML was wrong. The collected knowledge on this list is
tremendous - if the list says "it works" then it's a safe bet it works.
The recommendations on the list have yet to let me down.

I don't have any dyno numbers, but someone out there must. I do know
that the engine feels like it has more punch, especially at operating
temperature. Tim Berry swapped his 180 for a 160 (kids, don't try this
at home) and picked up a fair amount of time on the track.

DC will only "recommend" what's EPA-approved.