RE: CB Stuff (was: Center console power mod)

From: Tod Oace (tod@quay.com)
Date: Tue Apr 10 2001 - 02:21:55 EDT

> Good radio but big! Maybe you could sell it on ebay or a swap
> meet and buy a ts50 or ft 100 or ic 706. These are small as some
> CB radios and since you have your ticket why do you want a cb anyway?

I want a CB for highway traveling. So if there's an accident up ahead maybe
people will be talking about it on the CB and my wife and I can hear about
it. I'm really not much of a talker, but who knows....maybe I'd do some
talking too.

I've been drooling over the FT 100 and IC 706, but the question which I
finally had to ask myself this evening, after adding up all the costs of a
mobile rig plus antenna plus automatic tuner, is... Why do I want a ham
radio anyway? And the answer for me, sadly, is I don't. It's a great
hobby. There's tons to learn and lots of great folks. But... I have an HF
which I haven't transmitted on. I have a 2m handheld and the only time I've
used that is in a local area with a buddy of mine.

I think at this point I should sell the IC-735 (it really is big)....and
maybe the handheld too...and get a mod-able 10m mobile. That'll get me a
good radio for CB along with the option of using 10m ham with the same
antenna. Plus I'll have some Dak mod $s. Gotta save up for that blower
somehow. :)

So. I'm hearing the good things folks are saying about the Galaxy radios.
But I would like something with scanning, and it looks like the Galaxies
don't do that. Jim, you mentioned Ranger is out of business and you didn't
like their 10m anyway. So that's not promising. What about something like
the Alinco DR-M03?

> I nave a TS50 and the AT50 autotuner, a TS733 dual bander and a
> commercial Kenwook 800 mhz rig in my Dak. I replaced my factory
> console with a Super Copper from Galls Police supply and it holds all
> the radios, has a much better cup holder and with the optional
> arm rest it is comfortable too.

Nice! Even tempting! :-)

--
Tod Oace, tod@quay.com