Truck related - Atlanta

From: bernd@texas.net
Date: Tue Apr 10 2001 - 17:54:36 EDT

(My sister sent me this one...too funny!)

Hot truck rides off with
hearts of chase viewers

http://www.accessatlanta.com/partners/ajc/newsatlanta/0405truck.html

By Mary Lou Pickel
Journal-Constitution Staff Writer BRANT SANDERLIN / Staff
The pewter Chevrolet Silverado was damaged in Friday's chase in metro Atlanta.
But that hasn't stopped it from becoming legendary.

Car salesman Jerry Williams was talking with a customer Friday when he got a
phone call.

"'Hey, Jerry, put on the news! They're after our truck!'" a colleague said.

Williams turned on a televised high-speed chase and recognized the star: a 1-
ton Chevrolet Silverado pickup that had been stolen from his dealership.

Now the $41,000 truck is back at Bill Heard Chevrolet in Kennesaw, where it is
something of an attraction.

"I rode by and recognized it," Brenda McLeod of Marietta said Wednesday as she
waited for service on her truck. "From all accounts, y'all are going to get
more for it than it's listed for," she told Williams, general sales manager of
the dealership.

Last Friday, when the truck outmaneuvered 19 police cars on a 45-minute chase
on metro Atlanta's highways and side roads, the switchboard at the dealership
lit up, Williams said.

"The first 10 calls were, 'What kind of truck is it, and can I get one like
it?'" Williams said. Two men bid on the truck.

At first Williams wasn't sure the truck on TV was the same one stolen Feb. 13,
but slowly he became convinced.

The pewter-colored 6.6 diesel engine truck, with leather seats, four doors and
300 horsepower, was the only one of its kind on the Kennesaw lot.

Only about 50 are available in metro Atlanta, Williams said.

Police have charged Jonathan Fenn, 31, with auto theft by receiving, aggravated
assault, attempting to elude police and numerous traffic violations. He is in
jail on $50,000 bond.

A woman who says she was 11 weeks pregnant reported miscarrying over the
weekend, after Fenn hit her car during the chase.

While Williams is sorry the whole thing happened, he said the truck's
performance under pressure was admirable.

"If you notice, while they tried to push him and spin him out, the tires held
fast," he said.

"This is a cowboy's Cadillac. That's what we call it."