Re: Noises/Problems--ideas? (longish)

From: Will Coughlin (willcoughlin@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Apr 10 2001 - 23:08:21 EDT

Jason, #1- I wouldn't mess around with a warped crank pulley. The balncing
of the lower end of the motor is very important. Even a little warp in the
pulley could cause a lot of excess wear. Get it replaced ASAP. #2- losing
oil doesn't necessarily mean it's leaking into the tranny, and believe me
you'd know if you had a qaurt of motor oil sliding around in your
bellhousing! It could be burning it either because of a blown belly pan
gasket, or blowby. How many miles on the truck? I find it hard to believe
any Mopar V8 with less than 150K could burn that much oil internally(not via
the belly pan). It's possible, but not likely.HTH,

Will Coughlin willcoughlin@hotmail.com
'00 reg.cab,2wd,4.7L/NV-3500HD5-spd/3.92sg(9.25")
http://www.geocities.com/willcoughlin/index.html

----Original Message Follows----
From: Jason Yates <onebad4x4dak@yahoo.com>

Well, I'm taking the Dak in to a dealer tomorrow to have it
looked at. I have two not-so-good sounding problems going on
and would appreciate any opinions on what could be wrong:

1. I have a noise (chirp-like) that almost sounds like a
slipping belt. I posted about this before and it was suggested
I put on a new belt. I did but the noise hasn't gone away and
the new belt is definitely tight. The noise only occurs when
the truck is in motion and only when it is cold. When it first
started, I thought it might be the fan, but now I'm worried it
might be in the front drivetrain (maybe a bearing in the
shaft?). Additional information that may be applicable is that
I rearended someone awhile back, and the fan was replaced. I
also recently noticed that the crankshaft pulley (that is what
is called right? -- the big one in the center/bottom) has a
little wobble to it. It's very slight but noticeable . . . not
sure if that could be causing the noise. Any other opinions?

2. This problem scares me even more. I'm losing oil, but its
not dripping from anywhere. I think that means it must be
leaking into the tranny right? I mean where else could it go?
I don't see any in the radiator overflow tank, so I'm confused.
I wouldn't be too concerned but I seem to be losing a quart
every 1000 to 1500 miles (just a guess, as I haven't been able
to track it for very long).

I think this truck would have qualified as a lemon if all the
problems I have had with it would've happened at once. Oh well
. . . I've put too much time and money into it to turn back now.
  At least I was smart enough to get an extended warranty--which
I would have gotten the 100K one though.

I know I haven't given the list much time to respond by tomorrow
morning, so please feel free to post as I'll still be curious to
compare DML opinions to dealer opinions (and you all know which
ones I trust more) Wish me luck!

=====
Later,
JY
Vegas '98 CC 5.2L 5spd 4x4 w/prerunner bumper
Check my profile:
http://www.twistedbits.net/WWWProfile/dakota/BpQ4bPQ1PBzCI
Check my pics:
http://photos.yahoo.com/onebad4x4dak