Re:(2) Noises/Problems--ideas? (longish)

From: Will Coughlin (willcoughlin@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Apr 11 2001 - 00:14:26 EDT

Got no idea on the insurance, sorry. On the belly pan-when it blows, you
will not lose oil externally. It will suck it through the vacuum leak
created by a gap in the seal. The oil will then be sent through the intake
tract and burned internally. If you remove the airhat(engine off)open the
throttle blades to WOT, then look into the bores with a flashlight, you
should be able to see the bottom of the intake. A normally operating Magnum
motor will have a thin film of oil/carbon on the bottom of the intake, but
anything more than a slight film is a sign of trouble. Check that out and
let us know what you find. Pretty common problem, so don't be surprised if
you are afflicted by it too. HTH,

Will Coughlin willcoughlin@hotmail.com
'00 reg.cab,2wd,4.7L/NV-3500HD5-spd/3.92sg(9.25")
http://www.geocities.com/willcoughlin/index.html

----Original Message Follows----
From: Jason Yates <onebad4x4dak@yahoo.com>

Yeah, wish I had noticed the wobble on the crank pulley
earlier--like back in January when I first got the truck fixed.
I wonder if my insurance company will still pay for repairing it
if its due the accident. Anyone know if there's some sort of
statute of limitations on an insurance claim?

If I had a blown belly pan gasket, wouldn't I have some sort of
oil dripping from the engine? I have around 43K on the truck
and I'm not sure if my estimate of how much oil is being lost is
correct, I just know that over the past four or five weeks I've
added a full quart of oil (one half or so at a time).

Thanks for your message Will,
JY