Re: RE: Wattage vs. candlepower? - Long response

From: Jack Hilton (hemi@charter.net)
Date: Wed Apr 11 2001 - 12:00:35 EDT

> Watts are a measure of energy. Candlepower is a measure of luminance (how
> much light). You are trying to compare two different types of measurements.
> There is probably a correlation between the two, but I can not find anything
> here.

That is why Hella does not rate it's lamps in Candlepower. There is no industry
standard on how to do it.

> What you need to verify is how fast these lights use the energy, how many
> amps they use.

The way you figure the Amperage draw of a light is to take the Wattage and
divide it by the Voltage. For instance, if you have a 55W Fog Lamp on your
truck, it would draw 4.58 Amps. Of course, this is *assuming* that your charging
system runs at a constant and exact 12V, and most of us realize that it
fluctuates, usually hovering just over 13 or 14V.

Jack 3