Fw: Torsion Bar Info

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Wed Apr 11 2001 - 18:51:27 EDT

I posted this message on the DML earlier this month:

I called 4Wheel Parts along time ago, probably 4+ years to just find out how
much a set of Sway-A-Way torsion bars ran. I told the guy on the phone what
truck I had and he put me on hold and checked, and came back with a price of
$210 for the pair. Well over the years of being on the DML, many people had
inquired about aftermarket tbars for out Daks, and I even emailed Sway-A-Way
concerning this, and was told they didnt exist for our GenII Dakotas. I
thought it was a conflicting story, but always just assumed that 4Wheel
Parts just made a mistake. Our Dakota's tbars have a a hex shaped end to
each bar, and someone on the list was told by Sway-A-Way their tbars are for
splined applications only....odd isnt it? The only possible upgrade for
tbars would to buy from the dealer/junk yard one of the many
varieties(weight rating wise) of the V6/V8 sets. Today I found on their
website, www.4wheelparts.com a sections within the "suspension" link(lower
left side of the main page), a section for Sway-A-Way torsion bars,
http://www.4wheelparts.com/category.asp?cat=SUS
I clicked on the link and then clicked on the Dodge link......and was
dumbfounded.
Here is what they list:
Sway-A-Way
Part Number: SAW1746
Description 1990-19995 4wd Dakota
Specs: (Dia. 26.5MM Length 50")
Price: $208.95

So what now?! Is there a possibility?! Can anyone confirm these measurements
compared to the stock GenII tbars?:
-Diameter: 26.5MM
-Length: 50"
This would be great if indeed these tbars did exist.....compared to spending
$250 for new V8 tbars from the dealer. I have to work all day tomoroow. but
if anyone has some spare time, and wants to give them a call the verify
this......I would appreciate it. Otherwise I will call on Saturday. Here is
4Wheel
Here is a link to their contact page:
http://www.4wheelparts.com/contactus.asp

Here is the email I recieved today from 4Wheel Parts:
Hello,
That is the listing they have for that vehicle. Their catalog shows
it for 90-97 Dakotas. I don't have them in stock at this time so I cant
check them and we would need to order 10 of them to get them in. They did
tell me that they are hexed but not available at this time and should be a
while longer before they start making them.

If i can be of any further assistance feel free to E-mail or call toll free
877-474-4821 ext. 5616
Thank You
Ray Sanchez
local 310-900-5518
Fax. 310-900-5560
http://www.4wheelparts.com/
mailto:RSanchez@4wheelparts.com
Please let us know if you find a better price elsewhere, We wont be
undersold!!!!
!!!NO REASONABLE OFFER REFUSED!!!

So what does everyone think? Obviously they are available, right? From my
viewpoint, it looks good that atleast Sway-A-Way lists our Dakotas for their
tbar applications. Oh well.........just have to wait a bot I guess.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6