Towing one of the race cars with my truck!!

From: Will Coughlin (willcoughlin@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Apr 13 2001 - 10:42:12 EDT

Well, I did it! I had to tow one of the race cars I built to the exhaust
shop wedenesday. Here's the equipment- My '00 4.7L/NV-3500HD/9.25" 3.92sg
reg. cab 2wd modified with Hotchkis springs, Doetsch tech shocks, and a
modified Hellwig air ride kit. I had a 16ft. utility flatbed tandem axle
trailer and the car- a mint condition 1965 Ford Falcon 2-dr hardtop. I just
got done putting a 302 Boss motor(351 Cleveland 4-bbl heads), C-4
Transmission, and a 9" rear w/ 3.70 gear and welded spiders. Never weighed
the car so I couldn't tell you exactly what it weighs. I hooked to the
trailer and it didn't squat that much- I was very pleased when I only had 15
lbs of air in the bags and it didn't squat it nearly at all(had to measure
to see!). Well, I supported the back end of the trailer so that it wouldn't
pick up on my truck when I drove the car on it. I drove the car on and it
squatted the truck real hard! So, I backed the car up and put 50 lbs of air
in the bags.When I drove the car on this time, I parked it a little farther
back. This helped a lot. I ended up putting 65 lbs of air in the bags to
make it ride level. The first road I had to get onto was pretty rough-I
bottom out going up to the shop if I run too fast up the road. So that
worried me a little. But, the whole thing worked great! I never once
bottomed out the whole way! It was not as stiff as one might think, but it
was firm. I pulled it in 4th gear @ 45-50 mph. Gas mileage- well, I didn't
pull it far enough to calculate anything, but I will be pulling the same
thing farther in the near future so I will get you some figures. Sorry for
the length, just thought some might be interested, TTYL,