Re: Body liftin'

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Fri Apr 13 2001 - 17:00:41 EDT

> Aiiiiiight, the 31's went on this am. I must admit she looks a LOT better
> rollin on some knobbies than those weakly lil 235 uniroyals :) My
> question (Kyle, I know you've looked into this a bit) what options do I
> have for body lifts? I'd love to have a 5" suspension lift but can't
> afford the 3 kids they're asking for it..
>
> I'm thinking a 3" lift, as long as the kit comes w/ a spacer for the
> steering shaft, etc...

I think the only 3" Kit I have found is made by TrailMaster, and does
include a 'steering shaft adaoter' as well as a 'transfer case shiften
extension'. Also, from the 3" Body Lift Part Lists I am looking at now, as
well as the instructions, a '7/16" x 3-3/4" Tube-Auto Trans Linkage' is
included within the PN#9340(87-96 Ext. Cab & Reg. Cab Dakotas) kit. Listed
as #8 on the instruction sheet:
"8. Automatic transmission linkage rod needs to be removed. Loosen bolt at
bottom of linkage and pry out rubber grommets at top and bottom. Cut rod at
top portion where it is straight and put in spacer tube 7/16" x 3-3/4" and
weld into place. Reinstall after body lift is in."

Also, in my TrailMaster catalog it states "Except models with 318 V8 engines
due to fan/shroud clearance." I thought you were running an electric fan
anyways Jon, so I dont see why/how this would be a problem. TrailMaster
also does list 'chassis pants', PN#8340 is for 87-96 4WD Dakotas.

Just from what I see, from what I have read(both online and within TM's lift
kit instruction), I dont think the TM is the best kit out there. It is
cheap, but I think I am going to probably go with the Performance
Accessories 2" Body Lift Kit. The PA 2" Body Lift Kit for 87-96 Reg. Cab 4WD
Dakotas is PN#642; the PA 2" Body Lift Kit for 87-96 Ext. Cab 4WD Dakotas is
PN#642X. I have heard nothing but good things from PA and from the customers
who use this lift. From what I have read also, it does require any steering
shaft mods nor any auto trans linkage problems. Dave Kilian........are you
out there? How did your PA 2" Lift go when you put it on your Dak? Any
problems with it?

PA also does sell a Chassis Pant kit for our Dakotas, but I cant seem the
find the PN# right now. Anyways, hope this helps Jon.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6