Re: Accessory power to tailgate.

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Sun Apr 15 2001 - 10:33:36 EDT

> After sitting on the beach with the windows open so we could hear radio.
> And the cleaning that the inside of the truck needed after that, I got to
> thinking....how hard would it be to run a power source to the tail gate?
> Not hard at all, I think. Don't the new Jp's have a power outlet at the
> back? So.....why not install one at the back of the bed? I'm thinking
near
> the tie downs, as high as possible. This way a portable radio could be
> powered without $20 in batteries every couple weeks, and the interior of
my
> truck isn't covered in sea spray. I suppose it would have to be
> weatherproofed better than the accessory power that is in the cab, but it
> would work right? Anyway just looking for a mod that wouldn't have to
cost
> a couple Ben's.

Durangos also have a nice 12v accessory oulet in the rear most portion of
the truck, behind the 3rd seat. You can add a 12v accessory power source
anywhere you really want. I think you could just run a pos/neg wire right
from the battery with an inline fuse. Of course, if you dont want it 'hot'
all the time, just find a 'key on' only accessory and tap into that under
the dash. Be sure to solder all/any connections you make and use shrink
wrap. I know I have seen the cigarette type 12v accessories with a little
rubber cap on the end. You could even find a waterproof marine style 12v
accessories kit I am sure which would include a nice little water tight box
you could mount to your truck's bed, or even in a tool box if you have one.
Try www.westmarine.com
You can customize it and do just about anything you want when adding a 12v
power source. Parts are relatively cheap also. Go to your local Pep Boys or
even Radio Shack and look around to see what they carry. I know my local Pep
Boys has a nice little isle full of weatherproof style electrical connectors
and such. Hope this helps.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6