Re: Re: "vroom *pop pop pop pop* vrooooom..."

From: Mark Kuzia (flyboy01@mediaone.net)
Date: Sun Apr 15 2001 - 22:39:17 EDT

This has been a persistent problem for all of my Dakotas, some explanations
have been offered in the past:

1. The "pops" you hear are the opposing pulses from the opposite cylinders
going supersonic inside the exhaust system. This is harmless, but loud. I
have noticed that they are MUCH louder on vehicles with single exhausts and
w/o a cat. This leads me to believe that these pulses occur in the y-pipe
before the cat.

2. Some pops are actually lean pops, when you lift off the throttle, the
engine still has the same rpm's, but no longer is getting as much fuel or
air with the throttle is closed. these tend to be louder than the previous
ones.

3. If under acceleration, these are from a too lean mixture. You will do
damage to your engine!

Mark Kuzia
flyboy01@mediaone.net
http://people.mw.mediaone.net/flyboy01/home.html
1995 Dakota 13.79 @ 102.45 mph
360ci, 5-spd, 4.11 LS(8 3/4 [3.90 SG] coming soon)