Re: 5 speed problem

From: Will Coughlin (willcoughlin@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Apr 18 2001 - 20:55:02 EDT

Chris, my truck has ground second on a couple of occasions, mainly the first
shift in the morning while it's extremely cold out. Never ground 3rd, but my
2nd sounds similar to what you're experiencing. Have you tried
double-clutching it to see if it makes th problem worse or better? If you
are sitting still and try to go to 3rd, does it have the same problem? When
you go to push it into 3rd, does it feel like it has some resistance or none
and it just hits the gear? If it has no resistance against it, the synchro
may be completely gone. What about a downshift? Same symptoms? Any odd
noises, excessive grinding/whining while driving in 3rd gear? Just some ??'s
you might consider. Let us know some more symptoms. HTH,

Will Coughlin willcoughlin@hotmail.com
'00 reg.cab,2wd,4.7L/NV-3500HD5-spd/3.92sg(9.25")
http://www.geocities.com/willcoughlin/index.html

----Original Message Follows----
From: "Chris Lang" <langerdak@hotmail.com>

I'm having a problem shifting into 3rd gear in my truck. First off the
truck is a 01 RC 4x4 V8 manual with the 3.92 axle. The truck has 8500 miles
on it currently and just started to grind loudly when I shift it into third
gear. It doesn't happen everytime but it does happen quite often, it seems
to be based on rpm and speed from what I can tell. When I'm driving like
granny it does not happen but when I really get on it it'll do it more
often. At first I thought it was due to not having the clutch in all the
way. But after doing it several times when I was absolutely positive I had
the clutch pedal fully depressed it still did it. Has anyone had this
happen to them before? It's starting to piss me off because I dont want to
ruin my tranny or clutch. Any insight would be helpful. I'm still covered
under warantee but is this somthing that the dealer would fix or just say
its my fault because "I cant drive a 5 speed"?

thanks,

Chris