318 pushrod & tappet question

From: Wisotzkey, Rich (Rich.Wisotzkey@gd-wts.com)
Date: Fri Apr 20 2001 - 21:19:37 EDT

Has anyone changed out their stock pushrods? I changed out the stock
rockers and pushrods for a set of the Mopar roller rockers a while back.
They came with 6.830" pushrods which I noticed were slightly shorter than
the stockers, but I didn't measure the difference. I am replacing my
tappets along with a new set of pushrods and now have a question. The
pushrods are labeled hydraulic roller, which makes sense. I believe they
are intended for the stock rockers, because they look just like the stock
pushrods, but I'm not sure they are intended for use with the roller
rockers. They measure 6.90" in length. The set that came with the roller
rockers have a different weight tube and the end caps are also different.
This .070" is going to change the valve geometry, but does anyone know if
they are intended to be interchangeable with either the stock or roller
rocker set?

I'm also installing a new set of tappets on top of a new cam. The manual
says to just lubricate the tappets prior to installation. It doesn't say
anything about soaking them. I'm worried about not getting oil pumped up
through the valvetrain on initial startup. I thought about semi-soaking
them overnight or for about 3-4 hours to get a little oil into them first,
and trying to fill the pushrods with oil when they get installed. They warn
against running anything above a fast idle until they pump up, but the cam
requires an rpm of at least 1800rpm. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Rich - Ashburn, VA