Re: Hurst and the NV 3500 - Crit? (long)

From: Will Coughlin (willcoughlin@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Apr 23 2001 - 15:42:19 EDT

Thanks for the report! I enjoyed this and will save it for future reference.
And all those people say I'm crazy for changing my tranny fluid! See?????

Will Coughlin willcoughlin@hotmail.com
'00 reg.cab,2wd,4.7L/NV-3500HD5-spd/3.92sg(9.25")
http://www.geocities.com/willcoughlin/index.html

----Original Message Follows----
From: Aajaynefour@cs.com

After a week of use I can say that I am pleased with the Hurst shifter for
the NV3500. Shifts are crisp and positive and the throws are shortened by
half. I opted for the "softer" feeling shifter by removing the smaller of
the two springs on either side of the shift mechanism (this is simple and
the instructions make it very clear). One aspect of the shifter that is not
mentioned in the advertising is the fact that you get increased transmission
noise in the cab. The mechanism responsible for the positive shifter feel
also acts like a big stethoscope. One advantage of this could be an audible
clue to impending transmission problems (synchros, bearings, shift forks
etc...). This brings me to a question/observation. How much transmission
noise is normal? The third, fourth and fifth gears are exceedingly noisy.
Sounds like there are a bunch of marbles in the gearbox. I tested this by
putting the transfer case in neutral and listening to each gear without
actually moving. Humm????
I also decided to change the fluid. Glad as hell I did this. The old fluid
was cloudy and full of brass filings. You could swish it around in the
drain pan and make art. Like pouring cream into coffee. The drain plug
magnet was also full of shavings. I suppose some amount of metal on the
plug magnet is normal otherwise there would not be a magnet. I really
cannot believe there is not a recommended service interval for the NV3500.
Do it anyway, and don't wait much longer than 12,000 mi. between changes.
This fluid was only 13,000 miles old. I used 50% Mopar MTL, 25 % Redline
MTL and 25% Redline MT 90. Really smoothed out the shifting. Despite what
the FSM says, I could
only pump in about 4 pints of fluid not 4.8 pints. Anyone else?

P.S. Major tip here to anybody who might perform this mod. Do NOT reuse
the factory shift tower gasket with the Hurst shifter. They are not
compatible and you will destroy the factory gasket as I did and create a
leak. I have contacted Mr. Gasket and urged them to include stronger
warning language in the instructions to hopefully keep anyone else from
making this mistake

Andrew