Re: DML Anyone know where I can get extrude honing?

From: DAKSY (rsmith13@nycap.rr.com)
Date: Mon Apr 23 2001 - 18:05:39 EDT

Mark,
The Extrude-Hone Corporation used to have its main offices located just outside of
Pittsburgh, Pa. I'm sure if someone on the list is from that area they can look up the
number & they can put you in touch with someone in your area who has an Extrude-Hone.
If anyone cares to know, the Extrude-Hone basically uses a large diameter cylinder
which is filled with abrasive media ("silly-putty" and a blend of cutting oils &
carborundum granules). The cylinder is capped & the cap has a quick connect coupling
with a High pressure hose attatched. At the other end of the hose is a fixture to hold
your component and direct the flow to wherever needs deburring polishing. When
pressure is applied to the large cylinder, it forces the media thru the hose & into
the fixture & the component. The varying degrees of restriction cause the carborundum
granules to debur/polish as they pass by a surface. I purchased one to be used to
debur the bore gas evacuator holes in the 120mm Cannon at Watervliet Arsenal in 1985.
Cost then was about $40k. It's pretty basic & somebody with a knowledge of hydraulics
could probably fabricate one...
Just my informational $.02...