Re; Hurst and the NV3500

From: Duane Schultz (duschultz@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Apr 24 2001 - 10:52:23 EDT

I too finally got my Hurst shifter last week and installed it. I found the
instructions to be clear and the installation very easy. It is a nice
looking upgrade to the cab. I found the actual operational results to be
mixed, The shift pattern is definitely closer which is a good thing. I
still have difficulty finding third gear when I attempt fast shifts. This
may improve with use but I am somewhat disappointed since this was the
primary reason I was unhappy with the factory shifter. As reported by the
other DML folks, the Hurst unit transfers transmission noise which is
irritating. The factory unit has a Hexagonal plastic ball unit that fits
into the socket in the transmission. The Hurst unit has a steel ball that
fits into the socket. This transfers considerably more noise than the
factory plastic hex ball. Also, the factory shift lever is a two piece
unit. It appears the stick has a vulcanized rubber isolater to reduce noise
transmission. The Hurst unit has the stick sandwiched between two rubber
pads and this is thru-bolted directly to the shifter coming out of the
tower. This design isn't as effective in reducing noise transmission.
Overall I am fairly satisfied but less noise would be appreciated.