RE: 5 speed problem

From: Sevrence, Sean (S.J.) (ssevrenc@visteon.com)
Date: Tue Apr 24 2001 - 15:06:20 EDT

Hey Chris!

Regarding your comment:

<snip> But I've been wondering... I've run 85 in third gear could that have
led to the problems I'm having with it? </snip>

Once the gears and clutch are fully engaged, the transmission simply
transfers the power from the engine (input shaft) to the rear differential
(output shaft). The speed should have zero effect on the tranny at that
point. It's only during the shifting that there could be any problems. I.e.
letting the clutch out just before/as the syncro's are engaged thus the
grinding.

I have 13k+ on mine without any issues (knocking on imitation wood) so far.
Just remember, while you are waiting for the new tranny, your
engine/clutch/U-joints/diff/tires are still going to be there. Don't have
too much fun with the old one ;^P

Sean
'92 RC Sport 3.9L 5spd - 250,000mi!
'01 CC SLT+ 4.7L 5spd 3.92 LSD Mobil-1!