Slight "Knocking" from 4.7 Bottom End

From: Tanner & Beth Sammons (etsammons@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Apr 26 2001 - 21:30:13 EDT

I have been hearing a slight "knocking" sound coming from the bottom end of
my 4.7. I recently switched over to Mobil 1, with no improvement noticed on
the knocking issue. I am running 10W30, so I should be fine and I don't
really want to bump up to 20w50 if I don't have to. Sound is really
noticeable at startup until it reaches temp. Sound "softens" after I reach
normal operating temps, 185^ or so. I can only hear it at idle though,
especially w/ cars or walls beside the Dak. I hold good oil pressure at
idle and at rpms and the oil level is right on....
Any other 4.7 owners have this happening?? Would like to find cure/reason
for this!! Guess I may just have to get an aftermarket exhaust system to
cover up the knocking 8^)

TIA,
Tanner

PS. Still waiting on the tube to come back from the coaters, so no
prices/performance figures yet... Hope to see it here tomorrow.