Re: ATTN Geoff: How to change a MAP sensor (long)

From: Geoff (geoff_fahl_1@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Apr 26 2001 - 22:35:24 EDT

Hey Mike,
Thanks for the info, hopefully I'll be able to try it this weekend. I found
some service info in the Mitchell On Demand DVD at school so I can test it
before buying parts.

Thanks, geoff
"Mike Styer" <m_styer@go.com> wrote in message
> Geoff,
>
> Quite seriously, changing the MAP sensor was the easiest repair I've ever
done on any of my trucks over the years. Just remove the air hat, unbolt
the TB and cable linkage, and remove the throttle body from the intake
manifold.

> The MAP sensor is located on the front side of the throttle body. It is
a little black plastic box with a small elbow shaped vacuum hose that goes
from the MAP sensor to the throttle body (the hose is the size of a macaroni
noodle, I didnt even notice it the first time I took things apart). The
hose should come loose easily, if not a little WD40 should do the trick.
The MAP sensor itself is held on with only two small screws then if I
remember correctly. Remove old MAP sensor, and replace with the new.
Installation is the reverse, just make sure to replace your TB gasket. I
just used sealant, but a new gasket from the auto parts store should be
$1-2.

> I did a thorough cleaning of my TB while I had it off the engine, but if
you skip that, it shouldn't take longer than 30 minutes. The only tools you
need are a socket wrench and socket to fit the TB bolts, and allenhead drive
to remove the TB linkage, and a screwdriver to remove the MAP sensor. The
only painful part of the job is to you wallet. That little piece of black
plastic that is slightly bigger than a matchbox, costs $50 (about) from
Autozone!!!

> I did get imidiate results from this repair. Because the original MAP
sensor was reading the manifold air pressure incorrectly, I was running
EXTREMELY rich (gas...not in my wallet ;) which is why I was getting such
bad mpg. I reset the computer because of my cleaning the tb, and 360 miles
later I checked my mpg and it was back up to 21.742 mpg! This is after 8
months of 10.2-11.3 mpg each tank of gas (I check my mpg every time I fill
up and record it in a little notebook).