RE: RE: yanked an 18-wheeler

From: Sam Parthemer (srp@home.com)
Date: Thu Apr 26 2001 - 22:47:55 EDT

I wouldn't doubt it. I ran into a guy about a month ago at Fiesta Island,
San Diego.
He had a new Yukon 4x2, and was driving along the edge of the road where the
sand meets the
hard pack. With all of the rain we had (back then) there were quite a few
wash outs. The
guy saw the edge of one, and made a hard turn to avoid it, but didn't see
the larger one directly
in front of him.

The Yukon was nosed over into the crevice, rear tires in the air, frame on
the edge of the crevice,
and the front end completely in (top of the hood was the same height as
level ground.)

Two trucks were trying to pull him out, and they had only managed to get him
about 6" back, so
the rear tires just touched. Neither truck was a 4x4, both were full size
Fords though.

I circled around, asked if they needed help, and he asked 'Is that 4x4?'...
I replied 'Of course',
and they proceeded to make way for the Dodge. The driver of the Yukon was
in the truck, with his foot
on the brake to keep it from sliding back into the hole. I backed up, they
hitched up to my ball, which I
went back and removed-- used the PIN with their strap-- as the ball can
snap off if jerked, whereas the
pin is a lot more ridged. I also put a towel over the strap, in case it
were to snap; the towel would take
some of the force.

I put the Dakota in 4 lo, while the person on the outside yacked away about
everything other than what we were
doing, I pulled a 0-5 mph tug with about 1/2 throttle... I yanked the guy
up out of the hole, and pulled his truck about 3 feet (with foot still on
the brakes!). The force of the stretching strap, and the constant pull I
put into it, really did the job. The truck didn't even dig in, spin, and I
hadn't even put the fire to the coals yet to boot.

Took off the strap, but my receiver back in, and asked "Have you been pulled
out by a Dodge Lately?" and he laughed. No damage to the truck, he was
lucky.

Sam '99 4x4 Sport (RT wheels, Mopar Headers, Quick D K&N, F&B Stage I TB,
Flowmaster/RT exhaust)
FOR SALE--- Baby on the way, need to cut some corners. 38k miles, includes
a nice carpeted shell.
Looking for someone to take over lease, or buy outright.